CORBELS - SOUTH SIDE
On the south side of the Cathedral, running from the Choir towards the West Doors the following corbels can be seen above each column or respond.
ARCHANGEL RAPHAEL, variously called "the Messenger of God" and "The Guardian Angel", kindly in expression and carrying a pilgrim's staff and gourd.
JAMES USSHER (1581-1656). Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland. Described by Doctor Johnson as "the great luminary of the Irish Church. More
THOMAS PERCY (1729-1811). Bishop of Dromore. The Corbel rests on the book with which his name will always be associated - Reliques of Ancient Poetry. More
WILLIAM BEDELL (1571-1643). Provost of Trinity College, Dublin. Later, Bishop of Kilmore. Famous as the translator of the Old Testament into Irish and he holds in his hands an Irish version of the Old Testament. More
WILLIAM ALEXANDER (1824-1911). Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland. One of the most outstanding pulpit orators of his time, who rendered notable service in the establishment of the Cathedral, and was present at the laying of the foundation stone. More
CECIL FRANCES ALEXANDER (1823-1895). Wife of Primate Alexander and writer of some of the best loved hymns, including "There is a green hill far away". "All things bright and beautiful", "Once in Royal David's City," and "Saint Patrick's Breastplate." More
ARCHANGEL URIEL whose traditional office was "The light of God" - is symbolised by a sundial, thereby proclaiming that Wisdom is the Light by which we may know God.