BAPTISTRY - FONT
The Font was the gift of the children of the three dioceses of Connor, Down and Dromore. The Baptistry was dedicated in 1928 by Bishop Grierson.
It is fashioned out of marble taken from various parts of Ireland; its colouring is symbolic of the Sacrament of Baptism: The base is of black marble, representing sin. The columns are of red marble, representing Christ’s saving blood shed on Calvary, therefore penitence. The bowl is of white alabaster, representing new life and re-birth after the sacrament of baptism (grace).
The geometric pattern on the floor is in a style known as Opus Alexandrinum.
Click here for details of the Baptistry Dome Mosaic.
Click here for details of the Baptistry windows.